Tea Tree Oil
Obtained by steam distillation from foliage and terminal branchlets of Melaleuca alternifolia.
Tea tree grows in both New South Wales and Northern Queensland, almost entirely in modern day plantations. Some wild harvesting still occurs but this only contributes a small amount of the 650+ MT that Australia produces annually.
The industry is well regulated and as the original producer of tea tree, Australia standards are highly regarded as the best quality. The harvest period starts in May and lasts until November.
From seed to harvest usually takes around 12-15 months and trees will grow to around 2 metres high. The tree is then cut from just above the ground and the leaves are steam distilled in a process that takes around 1.5-2.0 hours per batch of around 250 kilos. Tea tree will regenerate quickly and over the next 2-3 years will yield higher levels of oil each year and establish a stronger root network ensuring it becomes more resilient to adverse weather conditions. Some more mature trees can yield higher levels of 1,8-cineole, which is undesirable so re-planting can occur every 6-7 years however the tree itself could live over 25 years.
- Product Details
- Product Enquiry
- List of product Files
- Botanical name: Melaleuca alternifolia
- Origin: Australia
- Crop Season: May – November
- Plant/part used: Foliage / Terminal Branchlets
- Method of extraction: Steam-Distillation
- TSCA CAS: 68647-73-41
- EINECS CAS: 85085-48-92
- EINECS: 285-377-1
- INCI Name: Melaleuca alternifolia (Tea Tree) leaf Oil
- Appearance: Clear colorless to pale yellow mobile liquid
- Organoleptic Properties: Powerful, Fresh, Warm, Spicy-earthy odour
- Density: 0.885 – 0.906
- Refractive index: 1.475 – 1.482
- Optical rotation: +5° to +15°
- Chemical constituents: 1,8-cineole, Terpinen-4-ol, Y-terpinene, Limonene, α-terpinene, α-terpineol
- Uses:: Perfumery, Aromatherapy.
- Fragrance usage:: max. 1% in finished product
- Allergens:: Contains fragrance allergens
To ask us a fair quote for this product, please fill the following form:
List of product Files
- Elementary – Tea Tree
- GC Profile
- Technical Data Sheet
- IFRA Certificate
- Allergen Certificate